The GRUMBACH family business was founded in 1938 as a workshop for sanitary heating and plumbing in Wetzlar. The company’s founder was Karl Grumbach, father of the present owner, Emil Grumbach.
The workshop becomes an industrial enterprise
During the 1950s GRUMBACH was already devising and putting into effect solutions to problems arising in the workplace, but primarily for its own use. However it was quickly recognised that these solutions might also be of interest to people in other workshops. Since 1965 they have manufactured and sold installation elements or sanitary prefabrications and drainage units for roofs and balconies.
The second generation headed by Emil Grumbach takes over leadership of the enterprise
Emil Grumbach As well as long years of experience the company has an ability to develop innovative products in-house in response to problems presented by customers. The company function of “Research and Development” was always the number one success factor and mainstay of the company. And the company has always understood that the innovation and development of products is of the greatest importance for the successful continuation of the company through good and hard times. This quality is embodied in the person who entered the company as an apprentice in 1947 and took over the running of the company in 1972.
Amongst the most important of Emil Grumbach’s developments are:
- 1950: Folding bench for hand and foot operation by one person (Today in use almost everywhere)
- 1960: Electrical screw stock for thread cutting (This solution is also in wide-spread use by installers)
- 1960: Prefabricated Pre-Wall Installations
- 1961: Adjustable screw fitting for installation elements
- 1961: Visible and concealed cisterns
- 1964: Coverings for installations
- 1965: Development of installation or room units
- 1966: Development of outflows for showers, roof and balcony
- 1968: Development of shower trays level with the floor (belong today to the standard range of any shower tray manufacturer)
- 1972: Development of sanitary cubicles, prefabricated bathrooms and prefabricated showers
- 1981: Pipe connections and attachments
- 1982: Development of incubators
- 1992: Development of sanitary mounting blocks for pre-wall installation in PUR
The first prefabricated shower, the first prefabricated bathroom and the first roof drain
In 1975 the first prefabricated bathrooms, prefabricated showers and roof drains are in serial production and being marketed. As regards flat roof drainage the company offers the widest choice of roof drains in Europe.
A new generation of pre-wall installations is born
PUR sanitary mounting blocks were presented for the first time at the IFH ’94 in Nürnberg and these made possible a new and simple method of pre-wall installation. The first two sanitary mounting blocks were:
- -› the Universal Block 108 cm high and
- -› the Universal Block 83 cm high. The Sanitary Mounting Block product group consists of two complete series which are:
- -› 1. Grumbach Angle Blocks: triangular, compact pre-wall elements for WC, urinal, bidet and washbasin.
- -› 2. Grumbach Blocks: square, compact elements for WC, wash basin, urinal, bidet, mixer units and empty spaces.
Death of the company founder at the age of 84
A corner pre-wall installation is introduced
The first two corner WC blocks for corner installation are launched onto the market.
The third generation takes over the business.
The decision that the company should remain in family ownership in the future is taken. Emil Grumbach’s four daughters (Rita Günther, Susanne Konstantinidis, Sephanie Godow and Julia Grumbach) become partners.
Diplom-Kaufmann Lazaros Konstantinidis is appointed deputy Managing Director.
The new product group called shower floor systems
The first GRUMBACH shower floor system (shower floor element and adjusting element) for installation of floor-level showers is presented at the international trade exhibition “ISH” in Frankfurt with great success.
Change in the company management
2011 Diplom-Betriebswirtin (FH) Susanne Konstantinidis is named as successor of Emil Grumbach in the company management.
After 39, the era of Emil Grumbach as managing director comes to an end. The third generation takes over the company management completely.
75 years of Grumbach
On 01.08.2013 the company celebrates an „open day“ on the occasion of its 75th anniversary.
The products offered by Karl Grumbach GmbH & Co. KG now consist of a flat roof and a sanitary range.